Friday, April 13, 2007

Photo Lucida

This week I'm up in Portland for Photo Lucida, a photography conference which features 4 days of portfolio reviews (see above). Imagine spending the day either having a crit, or waiting to have one.

Why am I doing this?

Besides the obvious reasons, it's the land of opportunities in ways you might not think of. First, I've learned a lot about the current work I'm doing. Four to five times a day I've got to sit down with a stranger and explain who I am and what they're looking at. There's something about that process that helps you understand what you've been doing and why. Second, as a teacher I spend most of my time on the other side of the table and it's important to remember what it feels like to be scared of how others will receive my work. Finally, I get to meet a group of people who "get" me.

No comments: